26 th EurOMA Conference
Operations adding value to society
17th - 19th June 2019, Helsinki, Finland
Targeted at young academics in general and alumni of the EurOMA Doctoral Seminar in particular, the EurOMA Young Scholars Workshop is conceived as a way to support the career development of young scholars in the field of operations management (OM) by teaching and sharing with them major skills needed in an academic career. Important skills are related to:
* Supervising MSc and PhD students.
* Teaching OM to MSc and MBA students.
* Designing and developing research projects in OM
* Developing your career – managing your way through academia.
* Developing theoretically rigorous and managerially relevant OM research.
Each year one of the above subjects is developed on a rolling base. At the same time, the initiative is aimed at developing the community of young OM scholars, keeping the network alive and providing opportunities to meet and discuss relevant topics.
The theme and program of the 2019 workshop is “Supervising MSc and PhD students”. In addition to developing publications form their PhD studies and developing new research, one of the first teaching activities young OM scholars are usually engaged in is supervision of individual students and groups of students.
As an undergraduate and PhD student you were seated at the other side of the table, and have quite some experience with supervision. However, what does it involve to be a supervisor yourself? The workshop features presentations from experienced and widely acknowledged OM scholars who will share their experience, views and ideas on questions and topics such as:
* Project design
* The role of and interaction between theory and empirical practice
* Interaction between academia and industry
* Balancing between taking project ownership and being the supervisor
* Keeping a distance and being involved at the same time
There will be ample opportunities for networking, one of the key overall objectives of the Young Scholars Workshops.
The target group of the workshop is young OM academics who aim at a continued academic career. Priority is given to EurOMA Doctoral Seminar alumni. The 2019 workshop is open to EurOMA members participating in the 2019 annual conference, who have presented their PhD thesis in or after 2014.
The number of participants is limited to 30 young scholars, who have registered for the conference.
Young scholars who participated in the 2018 workshop will receive an invitation and have to confirm their participation in the 2019 workshop by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org before April 26, 2019. First time applicants are requested to send a CV and proof of their EurOMA membership by e-mail to email@example.com before April 26, 2019. Notifications of acceptance will be sent out not later than May 3, 2019.
* Date: Sunday 16 June 2019
* Theme: Supervising MSc and PhD students
* Time: 13:00 – 17:30
* Location: to be announced
* Fee: included in the conference fee
Outline Program to be announced.
Contact Professor Harry Boer, Center for Industrial Production, Aalborg University.